Hans Binder


Record updated 11-Feb-08

After promising performances in Formula Ford and German F3, Binder moved up tp Formula 2 in 1975. He made his F1 debut that year in Austria. In 1977 he joined Surtees but left mid season for ATS before returning for the last three rounds. In 1978 he failed to qualify for the Austrian GP and retired.

Hans Binder
Born in Zell-am-Zimmer near Innsbruck, Austria, Hans Binder was a protege of Dr. Helmut Marko. He came to prominence in 1972 when he narrowly won the European Formula Ford Championship in a Lotus 69 before switching to Formula 3 the following year without much success.

However in 1974 with backing from Marko and sponsored by Warsteiner Beer he drove a March 743 Toyota in the Polifac Formel 3 Trophy. He came second in the Südwestpokal Rennen at Hockenheim and the Hessenpreis at Flugplatz Kassel-Calden. He then won at Flugplatz Mainz-Finthen and came second at the Nürburgring in the Redlefsen Super Sprint. He finished the season second in the Championship and impressed in the F3 race at Monaco.

He moved up to Formula 2 in 1975 with a privately run March 752 BWM again with Warsteiner sponsorship. After a dissapointing start to the season, he finished second at the Salzburgring, however an accident at Enna saw him switch to a works suported Chevron for the last four races.

He switched to Osella for 1976 but after a frustrating start to the season he struck a deal with Fred Opert to drive a Chevron. Things improved and he took points from the final three rounds with fourth places at Estoril, Nogaro and Hockenheim to finish 7th in the European Championship.

He made his F1 debut at his home Grand Prix driving an Ensign, qualifying 19th but retiring on lap 47. That year he also raced a Wolf Williams in the Japanese GP. However he got tangled up in the aftermath of the accident when Andretti's Lotus ran into the back of Laffite's Ligier at full speed. Andretti hit the barrier and when one of his wheels bounced back onto the track just ahead of Kunimitsu Takahashi, he swerved to avoid it not noticing Binder alongside him. They collided and both retired.

In 1977 he raised the necessary sponsorship for a seat with the Surtees team. However when the money ran out he moved to ATS for three races before returning to Surtees toward the end of the season.

In 1978 he failed to qualify for his home Grand Prix with ATS before disappearing from the F1 scene.