26/4/1939 - 15/11/2003
In Australia in the 60s the Geoghegan brothers pretty well dominated. Leo in single seaters with Ian alternating between Sports Cars and Touring Cars. Australian Sports Car Champion in 1963, 1965 and 1976, he also won five Touring Car Championships, 1964 an four in a row from 1966 to 1969. Ian Geoghegan died 18 years ago, he was 64 , He would have been 82.
In motor racing in Australia in the 60's it was almost a case of "if Leo didn't get you then Ian would" as the Geoghegan brothers pretty well dominated the scene. Leo mostly stuck to single seaters where he regularly gave the visiting drivers in the Tasman series a run for their money, but Ian, or Peter as he was affectionately known, alternated between Sports Cars and Touring Cars.
He won three Sports Car titles in 1963 and 1965 in a Lotus 23 and in 1976 in the Laurie O'Neill owned Porsche and an unrivalled five Touring Car Championships, 1964 an four in a row from 1966 to 1969. Championship win in 1969 was the first to be contested over a series of rounds and he triumphed by just one point from Alan Hamilton.
Although he didn't win another title, Geoghegan was a major player in the Championship in the early 70's and his victory over Allan Moffat at Bathurst on Easter Monday in 1972 is still regarded by those who saw it, at as the greatest race ever run in this country. "Pete" finally achieved his ambition of winning Australia's greatest race when he won Bathurst in 1973 with his great rival and friend, Allan Moffat.
He was a man with a great sense of humor & car control which had to be seen to be believed.
His extraordinary achievements included:
- Australian Sports Car Champion 1963,1965 & 1976
- 1963 Lowood Qld, Lotus XX11
- 1965 Lakeside Qld, Lotus XX11
- 1976 Series, Porsche 911S
- Australian Touring Car Champion 1964, 1966, 1967, 1968 & 1969
- 1966 Bathurst NSW, Ford Mustang
- 1967 Lakeside Qld, Ford Mustang
- 1968 Warwick Farm NSW, Ford Mustang
- 1969 Australian Series , Ford Mustang
- 1967 Gallaher 500 Bathurst Class D, 2nd. Ford Motor Co. - Leo Geoghegan / Ian Geoghegan - Ford Falcon GT (130 laps)
- 1973 Hardie Ferodo 500 Bathurst Class D, 1st. Ford Motor Co - A Moffatt / Ian Geoghegan Falcon 163 laps
- 1976 Marlboro $100,000 Sports Sedan Series, 2nd. Ian Geoghegan - Holden Monaro - Round 3 - Calder Raceway
www.v8supercar.com.au with additional information.